2013 Registered Dietitian Recipe Contest Entry.
“This sandwich recipe usually uses mayonnaise as a binder, but the avocado is a great substitution.” Recipe courtesy of Sharon of Kalaheo, HI.
This recipe was submitted by an avocado fan and has not been tested by the Hass Avocado Board.
- Prep time:
- 10 minutes
- Recipe serving size:
- Number of servings:
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup celery, diced
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 ripe, fresh avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp. Hawaiian salt, or Kosher salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- sliced tomato
- whole grain bread
- Put chickpeas in a bowl.
- Add celery and onion.
- Mash with potato masher or fork until some of the beans are mashed, but okay to leave some whole.
- Add chopped avocado and lime juice and mix to incorporate.
- Season with salt, pepper and cumin.
- Spread 1/4 of mixture on a slice of whole grain bread.
- Add sliced tomato and sprouts.
- Top with another slice of bread.
Notes & Tips:
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Omega 3 Fatty Acids||-|
*The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.