This Love One Today® fresh avocado recipe is another way to make the American Heart Association® recommendations part of your healthy lifestyle. A fresh take on the classic cole slaw, combines cabbage, carrots and red onion with a creamy avocado cilantro dressing in this easy-to-follow side dish recipe.
- Prep time:
- 10 minutes
- Ready in:
- 10 minutes
- Recipe serving size: 1 1/3 cup
- Number of servings:
- 2 ripe, fresh avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and diced, divided
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 cups green cabbage, sliced
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- Place one avocado, vinegar, water, sugar and cumin in a blender.
- With the blender on puree setting, blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, onion, cilantro pepper and one diced avocado.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and toss gently.
Notes & Tips:
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Heart-Check certification does not apply to recipes or information unless expressly stated.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8.0g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 1.0g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g||-|
|Dietary fiber 6.0g||21%|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Omega 3 Fatty Acids||-|
*The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.